Sunday, January 25, 2009

4 July 2008 Trip to Wilkes County North Carolina

Given Adoniram Allen, his parents and younger brother came to North Carolina via the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road and settled in Wilkes County, a trip to Wilkes County was in order. For those of you who have not visited Wilkes County, it is God's Own Country; I feel very satisfied to have an ancestor who built a sawmill there. Although I tried to locate the sawmill, which was supposedly built at the fork of Elk Creek and the Yadkin River, I could not get close enough to locate it. Given it was built out of wood, most likely it is not standing today. The road I traveled down was a one lane gravel road named Tom Dula Road, in honor of the legendary "Tom Dooley."

Wilkes County has several beautiful vistas. I was traveling on a two lane road, looking down on level farmland, to the river, and then to tree covered, conical mountain tops, as if someone had sawed off the top of the Great Smoky Mountains and set just the mountain tops down across the river. Beautiful country.

1 comment:

G Clampitt said...

Hi, You're writings on the Allen's of Wilkes Co., NC and the Mayflower connection is correct. Not long back I proved to the satisfaction of the Mayflower Society this exact lineage. I descend from David Allen Jr. If you would like that information to share with others I"m happy to oblige you. I also succeeded in proving David Allen Jr's service in the American Revolution to the satisfaction of DAR. I could also prove David Allen Sr's service in the American Revolution, but had a parting of the ways with DAR before I could submit same. Hope someone else is interested in doing so.